SMAK 2020 in March was a huge hit, despite coronavirus uncertainty, with a record 25,700 visitors, an excellent atmosphere, and a who’s who of industry professionals, exhibitors and visitors. The success provides a perfect platform for UMAMI ARENA to build on.
SMAK 2020 was a record breaker. Across four busy days we saw 440 exhibitors at SMAK and 84 at parallel event HOLDBAR 2020, more than ever before, all gathering to showcase the very latest in products, equipment and solutions for the catering industry. In addition, some
25,700 visitors met with our exhibitors, with 4,600 visiting the dedicated exhibition area for cider, beer, wine and spirits.
The numbers were outstanding under any circumstances, but particularly in light of emerging coronavirus concerns and restrictions. Feedback from both visitors and exhibitors was universally positive.
Tailored to strengthen The Food Nation Norway and inspire professional development
The opening conference was focused on how the industry can work as one to build The Food Nation Norway, attracting industry leaders, celebrities and star chefs. The government was also present to receive the ‘Roadmap for the Food Nation Norway 2030’ special trend report, prepared by Opinion AS on behalf of SMAK 2020, NHO Reiseliv, the Norwegian Seafood Council, and Innovation Norway. Olaug Bollestad, Minister of Agriculture and Food, was in attendance to accept the report. In addition, Bent Stiansen was honoured with the Catering Industry’s Special Achievement Award 2020.
SMAK 2020 was also the setting for a host of important Norwegian and Nordic championships:
• Green Chef of the Year 2020, organized by the Norwegian Fruit and Vegetable Marketing Board and the Norwegian Chefs Association Oslo
• Norwegian championship in Community Catering 2020, organized by the Norwegian Chefs Association
• Nordic Sushi Cup 2020 organized by Primus AS
• The Norwegian Coffee Championship 2020: Barista Championship, Cup Tasters Championship, Latte Art Championship, and Brewers Cup, organized by the Norwegian Coffee Association
• Jeunes Chefs Rôtisseurs and Jeunes Sommelier Competition, organized by Chaîne des Rôtisseurs
• Norwegian dishwasher championship 2020, arranged by BFSN (The Norwegian Catering Equipment Manufacturers and Distributors Association)
Goodbye SMAK – hello UMAMI ARENA
Thank you SMAK for all the memorable experiences, success stories, new friends, and the exciting things we’ve learned meeting the people that live and breathe this dynamic industry.
It’s now time for an evolution, as we move on to UMAMI ARENA, the new name for the industry’s number one meeting place, and work to deliver added value, experiences and inspiration for everyone who shares a passion for food and drink.
See you there!